Conflict of Interest in Dermatology: Is the AAD Doing Enough?
The study by Checketts and colleagues highlights the unintended consequences of the Sunshine Act and COI reporting.
- Feng H, Wu P, Leger M. Exploring the industry-dermatologist financial relationship: Insight from the Open Payment Data. JAMA Dermatol. 2016;152(12):1307-1313.
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. Open payments. www.cms.gov/openpayments/. Accessed March 6, 2018.
- Toroser D, Robinson M, Gegner J, et al. Systematic review of reports describing potential impact of the Sunshine Act on peer-reviewed medical publications. Curr Med Res Opin. 2016;32(3):547-553.
- Wilson M. The Sunshine Act: commercial conflicts of interest and the limits of transparency. Open Med. 2014;8(1):e10-3.
- Mitchell AP, Basch EM, Dusetzina SB. Financial relationships with industry among National Comprehensive Cancer Network guideline authors. JAMA Oncol. 2016;2(12):1628-1631.
- DeJong C, Aguilar T, Tseng CW, Lin GA, Boscardin WJ, Dudley RA. Pharmaceutical industry-sponsored meals and physician prescribing patterns for Medicare Beneficiaries. JAMA Intern Med. 2016;176(8):1114-1122.
- Jones RG, Ornstein C. Matching industry payments to Medicare prescribing patterns: an analysis. ProPublica. https://static.propublica.org/projects/d4d/20160317-matching-industry-payments.pdf?22. Published March 17, 2016. Accessed March 6, 2018.
- Checketts JX, Sims MT, Vassar M. Evaluating industry payments among dermatology clinical practice guidelines authors. JAMA Dermatol. 2017;153(12):1229-1235.
- Katz KA. Industry influence in dermatology clinical practice guideline development. JAMA Dermatol. 2017;153(12):1219-1220.
- Glazer AM, Siegel DM, Rigel DS. Evaluating industry payments among dermatology clinical practice guideline authors. JAMA Dermatol. 2018;154(3):373-374.
- Lim HW, Elmets CA, Begolka WS. Addressing potential conflicts of interest in dermatology clinical practice guidelines. JAMA Dermatol. 2018;154(3):259-260.
- Ratain MJ. Forecasting unanticipated consequences of "The Sunshine Act": mostly cloudy. J Clin Oncol. 2014;32(22):2293-2295.